Friday, February 3, 2012

The Aha! Moment

What's healthier, a hot dog with all the fixings and a side of cheese fries or a self prepared grilled chicken sandwich on a whole wheat bun with ketchup, lettuce and tomato?  I think we can figure this one out without any help from a nutritionist.  But, what would it take to make you CHOOSE the grilled chicken?  How about a video of how a hot dog is made?  Or maybe a side-by-side of the nutritional values associated with each meal?  Either way, the choice is yours.

I can remember my Aha! moment.  I wasn't much of a salad eater.  If it was green, I figured it had a fungus.  Try something new?  Never!  I thought people who drank water throughout the day were "boring".  I saw them as tree huggers.  Then I met someone who showed me how to incorporate some of the foods I already liked into my diet, and avoid getting bored.  Additionally, he showed me that those same foods have complimentary foods that look and taste similar and could stand a second look.  He made it a point to allow me to go slow with these new foods.  Be conscience about the choices I was making and I would start to see changes in my energy, mood and overall lifestyle.  After a while, I felt in control.  I felt like I was making decisions based on what my body was craving, and my body was craving healthy items.  Drinking down a glass of water helped me to feel rejuvenated!

I guess the point is...reaching our Aha! moment can happen at any time.  Meeting someone that has the knowledge to guide you, feeling unhealthy and wanting a change, a Doctor's advice or just knowing it's time to make better choices, for you.  Whatever gets you there, stick with it.  Take it slow if need be, and remember that making positive healthy choices will benefit you and those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment