Thursday, December 15, 2011

How do your kids start the day? Get rid of the sugar....

I don't have kids, but I was a kid once (a long time ago) as I just hit the 35 mark recently, and what I know is that in my days our shelves weren't packed with sugary cereals and pop tarts.  If we didn't have time to eat, my Mother (who is a nurse, so I presume this was OK) would throw eggs, milk and chocolate syrup into the blender and we drank her version of "egg nog" before we were allowed to go to school.  We loved it!  It's a favorite past time of my sister, brother and I.  Otherwise, we had the option of Cheerios, Corn Flakes, Total (when it was only bran flavored), bagels, English muffins and Eggs.

Every day (and night now) we are bombarded with commercials that have smiling parents handing their kids chocolate sugar cereal in a bowl or a piece of frosted cardboard from the toaster acting like they just did their job!  Really?  These are easy ways to send your kid off without trying very hard.  You are allowed to say no! Start them early eating bananas, apples, pears, low sodium oatmeal, cheerios, whole grain breads and yogurt. Whip up a batch of fresh pancakes or french toast, wrap them up and store them in the fridge rather than buying the prepackaged kind with tons of preservatives.  Getting closer to nature is better!  It's healthier and they will keep these habits ingrained in their behavior as they grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment